Energy Saving Tips You Can Implement For Your Business Today And FREE Checklist
In 2022, one thing that has been a current theme is rising energy costs. If you run a commercial building or business, you will always be keeping an eye on how you can save money from your commercial energy bills.
If this has been something, you have neglected in the past then you have probably found us due to rising energy costs.
So, now is the time to have an audit of your business and make sure that you are doing the best you can to save on your energy.
We are going to give you five energy-saving tips that you can implement today, we are also going to link to a very handy checklist that will help you make sure that you are saving as much energy as you can for free.
Lastly, we will tell you how we can help at Optimizet and save you money over the entire year from your energy bills.
Let is have a look at some of the best ways that you can save money straightaway:
Commercial Energy-Saving Tips:
- Check Your Operations and running costs:
If you are running a business, then of course most of your energy will be spent in the day-to-day operations. This is the first area where you should go if you want to be able to save money.
You can do this manually; we also recommend appointing someone to make sure that you are saving the most energy you can especially if you are running a facility.
For an idea of various where you can save money from your operations and running costs:
- Make sure that you run an audit and maintenance check all equipment to ensure that it is functioning efficiently. If you have the budget for it, it may well be worth thinking about upgrading equipment and going for a more energy-efficient version.Ideally, you will want to have some kind of energy monitoring system or a BMS to be able to do this thoroughly across all of your equipment. The cost that you will spend on a good BMS will save you money in the long run if you do not do this with the rising energy costs on the way.
- A simple way that you can increase energy efficiency and save on costs is to optimize the start-up time, the power downtime of equipment and you can even add in equipment sequencing. This is a great way to save money on energy and it is also something that is relatively simple to implement.
- Switch cleaning to daytime hours. This may sound like a simple thing to do, however if you make sure that janitors are cleaning at working times where applicable it means that you do not end up using the lights for more hours than there are people in the office. As opposed to people going home, then the cleaners coming in and turning on all of the lights again.A very simple strategy but over time this can be very effective.
- HVAC – We highly recommend that you audit and regulate the heating, ventilation and air conditioning as aside from the lighting this will be one of the biggest energy consumers for your workplace.You could consider getting the air conditioning and ventilation serviced to make it more energy-efficient. This is also another area where a good IoT system will save you money on your bills.
- Repair Leaks:
This is also another area that commonly goes overlooked. Make sure that you repair any leaking faucets or equipment as you will find that a leaking faucet can end up adding up to hundreds of gallons per year that you could save on costs.
- Heating and cooling optimization:
This is another area where you end up using a lot of energy, you will also find that there are normally many areas where you can save money on your heating and your cooling of a commercial building.
Some of the ways that you can optimize your heating and your cooling are:
- Lower the temperature in the evenings when you know that the building is not occupied.
- Make sure that all of your HVAC systems are maintained monthly to guarantee efficient operation.
- Change or clean HVAC filters every month, if you have dirty filters, you will not save money as they use far more energy and will overwork the equipment.
- Focus on finding any air leaks in the building and plug these up with weatherstripping and caulking.
- Upgrade your thermostats to ensure automatic regulation and also adjust with the seasons to make sure that you are not using any more energy than you need.
- Keep vents unobstructed as they will tend to use more energy if they have a lot of clutter in front of them.
- Check for any leaks and if you have compressed air systems make sure that you check the pressure regularly.
- Staff Awareness:
Although this is not a direct solution it will definitely become more effective over time. By making all your staff aware of energy-saving and procedures you will help to save money on your energy bills.
- One of the best ways to do this is to include simple procedures when using any machinery, refrigeration or anything else that costs energy. If you establish some protocol around using it based on energy-saving it will help to keep the energy consumption down.
- Consider educating your staff through a meeting and sharing your aims for energy management and how they can help.
- Encourage energy-saving actions with incentives and overtime you will notice this will affect your energy bills positively.
We hope that some of the energy-saving tips above will help you save money on your energy bills.
If you are looking for a great resource that will help you save money on your energy and do everything you can in your commercial building to lower costs, we highly recommend having a look at this checklist from EnergyStar.
If you truly want to save money on your energy bills, we highly recommend that you have a BMS (business monitoring system) that is able to carry out these three things:
- Energy Monitoring:
If you have a system that is able to automatically monitor the energy that you are using this is the first step to being able to save money from you bills. Once you know how much you are using, you will know times of the day where you use more and of course you will be able to see where the savings are available. You may find that you have equipment or processes that you can do without or change the amount of usage to be able to save a lot of money on your bills.
Even just being able to monitor the energy that you are using will give you a huge advantage if you are looking to combat the rising costs of energy.
The next thing that a good BMS system should do for you is optimize. Once you have the data from your energy monitoring you can then use that data to optimize your current systems. You may even find that you do not have to upgrade equipment and that with clever energy monitoring and optimization you are saving energy. Both energy monitoring and optimizing can be done manually following the tips above, but it can cost a huge amount of man hours and effort. If you have an automated system that will do this for you, you are able to save 24/7.
Once you know how to optimize and you also are able to monitor the energy that you are using then a good BMS will help you to automate and regulate the energy that you are using. When you put these three steps together it is a golden recipe to be able to save money for your business.
Let us help you:
This is precisely what we do at Optimizet.
We work on a very similar system to the three steps that we have given you above:
- Identify and manage energy waste.
- Cut your business energy consumption.
- Introduce smart IoT technology that will completely revolutionize and automate your energy-saving and save you money from your bills.
Let see how we can help your business…
Click the link below to contact Optimizet and we will book you in for a free consultation and we will see exactly where we can save your business energy and therefore save you money on your bills.
Interested in learning more?
Take a look below for some electrifying further reading.
CUES – Chilled Unit Energy Saver – This is the KEY To Saving From Your Refrigeration Unit Costs!
December 09, 2022Read More
Which Type Of Industries Use The Most Energy? Who Saves The Most?
November 28, 2022Read More
How Much Are You Likely To Save With An Energy Management System?
November 09, 2022Read More